Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Yes, I Am

Either stupid or just a big old softie. My Brother (who really isn't) showed up at The Dive tonight with his friend we usually throw darts with, and a very drunk young man I've never seen before. Brother proceeded to leave me with them, which wasn't a horrible problem since I like his friend. The kid decided to talk to me. I hope he was for real and not spinning me a tale just because he had me almost crying. On the other hand I hope he wasn't.
He said he's supposed to be heading to Afghanistan but got a text that he needed to get home, his Mother was in a bad way. He says he got a phone call, (and this is part of where I hate myself) I didn't hear or see his phone ring. He came back and said his Mom had passed.
I don't like being this suspicious of people. He didn't ask me for anything, he didn't come on to me or act stupid, but...
After he asked about the airport and left I actually drove around for a bit to see if he was walking since I had no idea.
So many people are stupid personified that I'm leery. I don't like that.
If the kid was for real, at least I gave him a hug and a heartfelt "I'm sorry."
It's sad that we have to safeguard ourselves so much. I want to belive everything he told me was true, but I'll never know.
That's what makes me sad, that yes, I am that heartless person.
I think too fucking much.

1 comment:

yellowdoggranny said...

20-30 years ago I would have believed him..today? I would have asked to see his phone and his last call.