Monday, September 11, 2006

Band

So, my mother called the other night. This is not an odd occurrance, but she called for a specific reason (other than to bitch at me). She purchased the weekly paper from Armpit, AL that said there would be a reunion of band members from 19-- to 19-- and did I want to attend. Yes, I was a band geek, shuttup. Trombone, the only girl, yeah, I know.
I thought about it for a second. That brought back so many memories of my geekiness that I couldn't quite process it all. I was such a shy kid it wasn't funny. Band was my life, MY LIFE. I was such a loser. I don't mean to demean other people who were in band, but, I was so obsessed with playing well, marching well, it was sad.
I had a couple of friends in high school, I read, I didn't need to talk to anyone, I didn't need friends, but music.............I couldn't live without that. I still can't.
I pretty much told Mom, oh hell no, but I may just go to see what happened to the cool people. Kinda like high school reunions, which I've never been to, I didn't like those people either, but the band kids, yeah, I can kinda relate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hid out in the art department. Solitary. Alone.
Gawd
So...alone

heh

Rainwolf said...

During "study hall" which was in the band room, where we were supposed to practice, I'd go to the auditorium and play in the storage room off stage left so I didn't have to be around the other kids.

DB said...

Me too, me too! (former Band Nerd) Xylophone and bassoon. What a combo!

I never heard of a band reunion. We are probably much too small to pull something like that off, but I'd go if they had one.

Rainwolf said...

Xylophone and bassoon are cool, both hard to play so I'm told. Don't know who started this reunion thing, but I didn't go.